5. Miami Marlins: The Marlins sound like a crazy spot, but remember, the Marlins still have some players who they may want to move. Perhaps a straight up trade for Ricky Nolasco could work, with the dollars possibly evened out. The Marlins are conscious of the fact they could use a middle of the order bat to protect Giancarlo Stanton, and they have some young pitchers who could be slid into the rotation.
4. New York Mets: No secret the Mets fall short of having a major league
outfield right now. It doesn't matter if Kubel bats left handed, his bat would
make the Mets better. The Mets should have a little interest, being his price
tag would be much less than that for Upton.
3. San Diego Padres: The Padres took a big step towards contention last season, with a strong finish. I thought they would be more active in trying to move on that momentum. Kubel would be a solid addition for the Padres, who have little in their order to protect 3B Chase Headley. Kubel would be perfect batting 5th behind Headley. However, there is concerns his HR numbers may go down playing his home games in Petco Park.
2. Chicago Cubs: The Cubs could be a fit and it is possible he could surpass his HR total of last year playing his home games in Wrigley Field. Based on comments from GM Theo Epstein and manager Dale Sveum, the Cubs seem pretty serious about considering themselves a contender for 2013. The last step will be doing something to back it up. This makes Kubel a possibility.
1. Milwaukee Brewers: They have a spot in the outfield with Corey Hart moving to 1B. With Hart possibly having surgery and missing a significant part of the 2013 season, the need is a little more there for them to add a middle of the order bat. If he can hit 30 HRs for the Brewers, it will do wonders replacing some of the power lost when Prince Fielder left to play for Detroit.