5. Detroit Tigers: While some can say Detroit can use Lohse as a contingency plan if they are not able to bring back Anibal Sanchez, I think the Tigers may be able to benefit more from having Lohse than Sanchez. Having Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer and Rick Porcello all being hard throwers, balancing it out Doug Fister and Lohse may be best for the makeup of the rotation. The Tigers seem poised, however, to retain Sanchez.
4. San Diego Padres: I have said before that I expect the Padres to be active during this offseason. They have a new ownership group that seems like it may be willing to spend. They should fly under the radar when it comes to OFs like Josh Hamilton, BJ Upton, Juston Upton and Josh Willingham. Lohse would be interested in pitching his home games in San Diego, one of baseball's most pitcher friendly parks.
3. Milwaukee Brewers: The Brewers are now without three fifths of their 2012 opening day rotation, as Shawn Marcum will likely leave as a free agent, joining Greinke and Randy Wolf missing from last year's mix. Yovanni Gallardo was missing some of his dominance of past seasons and the Brewers can use a number two starter. Lohse could marvel in more abscurity playing in Milwaukee after spending the past several seasons doing the same.
2. Baltimore Orioles: The Orioles, in my opinion, would be one of the best fits for Zack Greinke. It seems however, he will end up in Los Angeles with the Angels or Dodgers. The Orioles should be in the mix for a starter like Lohse, as they will also be looking at Edwin Jackson and Sanchez, among others. Lohse should be able to keep the ball down in hitter friendly Camden Yards.
1. Kansas City Royals: The Royals have been serious about upgrading their starting rotation, something they strongly feel was the reason they were not in contention in the AL Central. They have traded for Ervin Santana and signing Jeremy Guthrie to a three year contract. Lohse would put the finishing touches on a solid offseason, putting the Royals in contention with the Tigers and White Sox. Their rotation will be improved with Lohse, Santana, Guthrie, followed by a mixture of Bruce Chen, Vin Mazzaro and Luke Hochevar- if the three are retained. They also have LHP Mike Montgomery almost ready to help the big league club as well as Danny Duffy and Felipe Paulino recovering from Tommy John surgery. It is realistic to expect the first three to keep the team in many more games than last season.